The No-Rx Anxiety Cure: Cheap and Natural Anti-Anxiety Medication and Treatments. General anxiety disorder, or simply anxiety, is a psychological condition wherein a person suffers from recurring, extreme and prolonged worry and/or fear. Without proper attention and treatment, a patient may be so overwhelmed by its symptoms that it becomes difficult to function normally.
Fortunately, anxiety is treatable. It can, in fact, be addressed in a number of different ways.
Medical Treatments for Anxiety
There are medications prescribed to control the physical factors that trigger symptoms. Depending on the patient’s condition, any of the following classes of medicines may be prescribed:
Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRI)
Natural Remedies for Anxiety
Now we get to the most important question: What is the best anti-anxiety medication?
The short answer: The best medication is no medication at all.
The long answer: While the use of prescription drugs speeds up recovery, they come with a lot of side effects, including addiction/dependency. The same goes for patients who may experience withdrawal symptoms. For these reasons, even licensed psychologists prefer employing natural remedies and therapy before resorting to prescription drugs.
The most popular treatment for anxiety disorders is psychological counseling. Majority of patients who undergo therapy fully recover from their disorders or, at the very least, have greatly reduced symptoms, enough for them to return to normal function. Counseling may come in any of the following forms:
• Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – A well-established, lasting treatment that involves understanding and changing the patient’s thought and behavioral patterns with the patient’s active participation.
• Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – Focuses on mindfulness and acceptance strategies alongside commitment and behavioral change.
• Dialectal Behavioral Therapy – (DBT) Integrates CBT techniques with ACT strategies; usually involves a combination of individual and group therapy.
• Exposure Therapy – A form of CBT wherein a patient is exposed to his fears until he becomes less sensitive towards it.
It is common for patient to be uncomfortable with the notion of seeking professional help. In this case, self-therapy is the next best alternative, especially if a combination (or all) of the following are observed regularly:
• Regular exercise
• Vacations and trips
• Adequate sleep
• Breathing and relaxation techniques
• GAD-friendly diet
Finally, there are cheap and natural anti-anxiety medication of the herbal type. Below is a list of the most common and effective herbal treatments that you can choose from:
• Green Tea
• Lemon Balm
There’s little to lose and so much more to gain if a patient were to use cheap and natural anti-anxiety medication over prescribed drugs. It is more effective if a combination of counseling, self-therapy, and herbal medicines be used, regardless of whether or not a patient is taking anti-anxiety medications.